In the following section you will find interesting information on the history of the island of Crete. The island of Crete boasts a long and turbulent history and a fascinating culture. Cultural influences from other civilizations of the West and the East, as well as the remains of the glorious Minoan civilization, are found across the island. This mix of civilizations has marked contemporary Cretan culture, which is still vibrant and distinctive as it has always been.
Please take the time to read the following interesting articles on the history of Crete.
- Neolithic Crete
- Prehistoric Crete
- Classical Crete
- First Byzantine Period in Crete
- Arab period in Crete
- Byzantine Crete
- The land and the farmers in medieval Crete 13th - 14th century.
- Venetian Crete
- The birth of the Cretan School
- Turkish period (1669-1898)
- Traditional forms of social organization: community and craft unions
- Contemporary years (from 1898 to our days)
- the Cretan Independence
- Essays on the Cretan Independence
- 90 years of Cretan Independence