Communities of Nea Alikarnassos municipality
The municipality of Nea Alikarnassos is situated on the north shore of the Heraklion prefecture. On its west borders one can find the municipality of Gouves, on the east that of Heraklion while its north is bordered by the Cretan sea. The municipality includes the district of Nea Alikarnassos and the district of Kallithea with the settlements of Kallithea, Prassas and Karteros. While it only constitutes 0.61% of the prefectures area, it is home to 4.3% of its population. Its size is 16.3 km2, while its population is 12.542 (2001 census).
The Nea Alikarnassos municipality is situated on the north development zone of the Heraklion city. Being the international airport gate of the whole island as well as the eastern entry to the city of Heraklion, the area has been heavily developed during the past few years. The region is an important tourist attraction for the following reasons:
1. It borders Heraklion
2. Big part of Heraklion's peripheral zone activities are concentrated here. Such activities include the:
- "Nikos Kazantzakis" international airport
- industrial area of Heraklion
- internationally important Heraklion port
- largest and most important highways of the region, connecting the municipality with other commercially important areas.
Great number of visitors arrives during the regular cultural events that take place throughout the year creating an important source of economical development for the area.